Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Power of Seem

Webster defines “seem” as “to present the appearance of being” or “to be only in appearance but not reality”. Everything here seems, and nothing here is as it seems. The ego seems. Forgiveness seems. Even our favorite blue book seems. Remember, everything we perceive has the purpose that we give it. It neither is reality nor points to reality. It merely reflects our will.

“Seem” is the difference between freedom and prison. As we walk along our path, we often begin to recognize the illusory nature of the world, our perceptions, and even time and space. This is often useful freeing us from pain and unhappiness, and it is also often terrifying imprisoning us to a dream of attack and guilt. Like everything else in our experience, the power of decision is ours – heaven or hell, forgiveness or attack, crucifixion or redemption – and how easily we can make one seem like the other.

“Seem” is the power that turns the heavy burden of guilt into the freedom of forgiveness. “Seem” is the change of purpose that turns attack into a call for help, a call for Love. “Seem” is the reminder that truth can have no opposite - that a little bit of falsity is impossible if truth is true. “Seem” is the teacher that demonstrates that not only is the dream not what we think it is but even the motivation behind the dream is impossible. “Seem” is the peace that surrenders form to changed content. “Seem” is a door taking us beyond itself.

Spend some time with “seem” today. It will seem to take you home; it will remind you that you never left.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks again D. This "seems" like exactly what I needed to hear!

    ;)

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seemed myself to a nub this month, I seem to be mending my seems as I was falling apart at the seems. I know, enough already,
    later

    ReplyDelete
  3. On today's lesson, I had the image in my mind of all of us rolling around in these office chairs and referring to them as our selves.
    It seems logical to some extent to think of our bodies as our selves but the rolling office chair thought made me chuckle. I'm not the rolling chair I'm using at the moment. I can apply the same thought to the body. Seems odd at first but I'm getting the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete